Subject: [Staff-l] Faculty member Yee Jan Bao
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:29:03 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Yee Jan Bao, senior adjunct
professor in Painting/Drawing, died on October 16 after a long illness.

Yee Jan was hired at the college in fall 2003 as an adjunct professor and
was promoted to senior adjunct in 2009. He taught in Painting/Drawing and
Diversity Studies through 2011–12 until he had to take a leave of absence
due to health issues. He also taught the Summer Drawing and Painting
Intensive course from 2006 to 2011.

Yee Jan’s exhibition record included shows at PS1, Long Island City, New
York; the New Museum, New York; Stephen Rosenberg Gallery, New York; Trabia
Macafee, New York; Betsy Rosenfield, Chicago; and Thomas McCormick,
Chicago. He received grants from the Guggenheim Foundation, the National
Endowment for the Arts, the Pollock-Krasner Foundation, and the Chicago
Arts Council.

In addition to CCA, he taught at the School of the Art Institute of
Chicago, Rhode Island School of Design, the University of Texas, the
University of Chicago, and the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

I first met Yee Jan when we were both teaching in Chicago and we remained
friends for more than twenty years. On behalf of the college, I extend my
sympathies to his family and wide circle of friends. A memorial event is
being planned for some time in November; we will inform you once details
have been finalized.

Sincerely,

Steve Beal
-- 
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l