Subject: [All Staff] Standing in solidarity together against anti-Asian violence and racism
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:43:22 -0800
List-Id: <allstaff.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

There has been a disturbing increase in violence and discrimination against
Asian and Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities since the
onset of the pandemic nearly a year ago. Layered on top of the overlapping
health, financial, social, and political stressors of the past year, this
rise has been intensified by anti-China rhetoric from white-supremacist
groups, irresponsible media, and national leaders who repeatedly—and
wrongly—blamed a single country and its people for the spread of a virus
that cares nothing about borders or nationalities.

In recent weeks, heightened media attention to violence against Asians,
including several high-profile incidents here in the Bay Area, has brought
greater visibility to the problem of anti-Asian racism. The level of
attention and awareness may seem new, but anti-Asian racism is most
certainly not; it is deeply embedded in this country’s history.

CCA condemns these acts of violence and discrimination, and denounces the
racism and rhetoric that feed them. As creative citizens and caring members
of the CCA community, we must stand in solidarity with those among us who
are experiencing trauma, grief, or fear, and understand that violence
against Asian communities is an assault against us all.

In doing so, we must also challenge images and narratives that promote
stereotypes or diminish the complexity of racism in this country.
Anti-Asian violence and discrimination are closely intertwined with that
experienced by other BIPOC communities. So too, however, is a long history
of coalition building, activism, and unity among marginalized communities.

Many members of our CCA community have been working—some throughout their
lives and careers—to address the root causes of this violence and
discrimination, and to advocate for creative, community-driven solutions
that will foster unity and increase safety for all. I would like to thank
CCA professors Thi Bui and Maxwell Leung, and dean Tina Takemoto, who have
shared their invaluable perspectives and wisdom with me, as well as many of
the resources I am pleased to share with you below.

Sincerely,

Steve

CCA RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS

Counseling Services <https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/counseling/> [CCA
mental health crisis hotline: +1 510-594-5099]

Office of International Student Affairs and Programs
<https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/dean-students/diversity-and-inclusion/>
(ISAP)

Office of the Dean of Students – Diversity, Inclusion, and Community
Engagement
<https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/dean-students/diversity-and-inclusion/>

CCA Care Form <https://www.tfaforms.com/4690782> – Report a concern
regarding a CCA student or incidents of harassment, or receive referral to
services. (Do not use the form for emergency situations requiring immediate
attention.)

COMMUNITY RESOURCES

Take action

Safety Tips for Those Experiencing or Witnessing Hate
<https://stopaapihate.org/safetytipsenglish/>

Oakland Chinatown Coalition volunteer sign-up
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9K0k3bjmcQC4GZtfKg-9syZTAPTAWnzAetZpb5yiZWWR1rA/viewform?fbclid=IwAR1pf6kH4GGIFII6_LHM4hhwj8jHsoHx0052dCJps9LoaTFw_Sr3MKn2Jxg>
–
Join a volunteer foot patrol or find other volunteer opportunities.

Asian American Racial Justice Toolkit <https://www.asianamtoolkit.org/>

Learn more

“What This Wave of Anti-Asian Violence Reveals About America
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/opinion/anti-asian-violence.html>” by
Anne Anlin Cheng (New York Times, February 21, 2021)

“Silence is consent to anti-Asian racism in California and around the world
<https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Silence-is-consent-to-anti-Asian-racism-in-15954897.php?mc_cid=e6aeab2ee1&mc_eid=80d1f63741>”
op-ed by Asia Society President Kevin Rudd (San Francisco Chronicle,
February 17, 2021)

“Rising crime, calls for solidarity: a deeper look at what’s happening in
Chinatown
<https://oaklandside.org/2021/02/12/oakland-chinatown-policing-hate-crimes-solidarity/>”
by Sarah Belle Lin and Darwin BondGraham (Oaklandside, February 12, 2021)

Organizations and advocacy groups

APEN <https://apen4ej.org/> (Asian Pacific Environmental Network)

AAPI Women Lead <https://www.imreadymovement.org/>

Chinese Progressive Association <https://cpasf.org/>

Stop AAPI Hate <https://stopaapihate.org/>

Chinese for Affirmative Action <https://caasf.org/>