Subject: [Staff-l] Appointment of New Provost
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:16:14 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Faculty and Staff,

I hope you all enjoyed the winter break. We’re looking forward to welcoming
the students back for the start of the spring semester on January 19.

As you know, Provost Melanie Corn
<https://www.cca.edu/news/2015/12/02/cca-provost-melanie-corn-appointed-president-columbus-college-art-design>will
be leaving CCA at the end of February to become president of Columbus
College of Art and Design. As noted in the email I sent before the break,
I've spent the last six weeks having numerous conversations with faculty
and administrative leaders about how to proceed in appointing Melanie’s
successor. After much deliberation, I've come to a decision.

I'm thrilled to announce that Professor and Dean of Fine Arts *Tammy Rae
Carland* has accepted the position of provost. Her deep experience at CCA
as an administrator, faculty member, and practicing artist garnered her
tremendous support among the faculty leaders with whom I consulted.

Tammy Rae’s strong background and proven leadership skills make her the
ideal candidate to take on the provost position, especially during this
significant time in the college's history. We are at a critical point with
many issues and initiatives, including campus and strategic planning, union
negotiations, external partnership development, and strengthening the role
of fine arts at CCA.

Given these crucial issues, the timing of Melanie's departure, and the
extraordinary asset we have in Tammy Rae, I decided the best option was to
appoint the next provost from within rather than take on a lengthy search
process for an external appointment.  I do, however, see the merit of
taking a broader approach in considering academic leadership at CCA. In
spring 2018, I will engage with the leadership of the Faculty Executive
Committee to conduct a substantive review of the provost position. At that
time we will reflect on the current needs for the position and make
recommendations on the best ways to proceed.

Tammy Rae will work closely with Melanie throughout January and February to
ensure a smooth transition and will officially move into the post on March
1. Along with tackling the regular provost duties, Tammy Rae will spend
much of the late spring and summer meeting with faculty and staff,
particularly those individuals with whom she has not yet worked closely.
She wants to hear your perspectives on where the college is headed and how
she can best help lead us forward.

*Dean of Fine Arts Search*
With the transition from divisional directors to deans, the college has
moved to a structure of academic leadership that requires deans to provide
a combination of strategic vision for the division, administrative
management, and faculty advocacy. A deanship opening provides an important
opportunity for a national search in which CCA can raise visibility and vet
a wide variety of candidates. With Tammy Rae taking on the provost
position, Chair and Professor of Textiles and former Director of Fine Arts
Deborah Valoma has agreed to serve as interim Dean of Fine Arts while we
conduct a search. Partnering with Isaacson, Miller search firm and working
closely with the Fine Arts faculty, we will launch the dean search later
this month.

*About Tammy Rae Carland*
Tammy Rae was hired at CCA through a national search and began teaching
here in 2002 in the Photography Program. Since then, she achieved tenure
and subsequently a full professorship. She chaired the Photography Program
for seven years, served as Faculty Senate President from 2008 to 2011, and
most recently has been the Dean of Fine Arts since 2014.

She holds a BA from Evergreen State College and an MFA from University of
California, Irvine. She also attended the Whitney Museum of Art Independent
Study Program. She began her academic career twenty years ago at DePauw
University as an assistant professor of Fine Arts. While there, Carland
co-founded Mr. Lady Records and Videos, an independent record label and
video art distribution company, working with more than two dozen artists
and musicians on the production and independent distribution of their work.

She then was appointed assistant professor at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she built the photography program and
founded the media arts program. During her five years there, she
successfully raised funds to build facilities and programs, growing the
national reputation for the university's fine arts programs.

Tammy Rae is an internationally renowned artist who works with photography,
video, sculpture, and small-run publications. Her work has been screened
and exhibited in galleries and museums internationally, including New York,
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berlin, Vienna, and Istanbul. Her art and
writing have been published in numerous books, and she is represented by
Jessica Silverman Gallery in San Francisco. You can read more about Tammy
Rae on the website.
<https://www.cca.edu/news/2016/01/13/cca-names-tammy-rae-carland-provost>

I look forward to working with Tammy Rae as we continue to strengthen CCA’s
reputation for academic excellence and build a solid future for the
college.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

---------
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l