Subject: [Staff-l] Thoughts on the Election
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 14:06:10 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

One of the most contentious presidential elections in recent history has
concluded. For many, the election stirred negative feelings: alienation,
fear, pain, and vulnerability. Today, you may be wondering how the outcome
will impact you and the world we live in.

The results of the election have shown us that our nation is more deeply
divided than we thought, and that is distressing to acknowledge. But as
American citizens we need to continue to believe in our democracy. And for
democracy to function and endure, our participation is required—not just on
Election Day, but every single day. Each of us must do all we can to
advance the causes and values that we believe in.

At CCA, we will continue to strive to build an inclusive community where
people of all races and religions, immigrants, LGBT people, and people with
disabilities have a voice and are respected. We are artists and
makers—problem-solvers, by nature—who work together in a culture of
critique. This way of learning and living builds our courage and
confidence, but more importantly, allows us to gain empathy and an
appreciation of diverse views and opinions. We need these compassionate
qualities now more than ever.

The Students of Color Coalition has organized an event on Macky Lawn today
from 3 to 4 p.m. I applaud this effort and I encourage you all to take part
and show your support. I hope in the future that there will be many more
opportunities for the CCA community to gather. On a day like today, we need
to remind ourselves that we are stronger together.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

------------------
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l