Subject: [Staff-l] Oakland Fire
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 17:06:22 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Faculty and Staff,

The horrific Ghost Ship Fire in Oakland on Friday night has claimed the
lives of dozens of young creative people. At this writing, the death toll
stands at 33, and is expected to rise as emergency crews continue their
search of the building.

I'm very sad to tell you that we received word that CCA alumnus Travis
Hough was among the casualties. Travis, who received his BFA in
Painting/Drawing in 2005, was also a talented musician who performed with
his band Ghost of Lightning. On behalf of the college I extend my deepest
sympathies to his family and friends for this heartbreaking loss.

Many in the CCA community have lost friends and colleagues in this tragic
incident, and many are still awaiting word on their loved ones. This is a
time of mourning for our creative community; the aftershock of the deadly
fire will be felt for a long time. At this time we are exploring ways for
our community to come together to share our thoughts and feelings; we will
keep you informed of the plans.

*Our students *may need support; here are some resources available to them:

*Counseling Services* <https://www.cca.edu/students/counseling>
Professional, confidential counseling is available free of charge to all
students. To make a counseling referral, please contact Student Affairs in
Oakland at 510.594.3666 or in San Francisco at 415.703.9570.

*For urgent, non-emergency mental health issues requiring immediate
attention, call CCA's mental health crisis hotline number: 510.594.5099
<510.594.5099>.  *

*CCA Cares <https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares> *
CCA Cares is an initiative designed to engage students with the care and
support they need during challenging personal circumstances. All CCA
community members are strongly encouraged to provide the CCA Cares Team
with information regarding a student they are concerned about by filling
out a *CCA Cares Form* <https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form>. This
ensures that the appropriate staff member(s) follow up with the student and
the necessary resources are made available in a timely manner.

*For faculty and staff:*

Everyone processes tragedy differently and I encourage you to utilize the
resources offered by our Employee Assistance Program provider Magellan
should they be helpful to you during this time. As a reminder, EAP services
also include in-person counseling sessions and online resources.

If you need help or guidance at this time or any time, you may reach out to
the Magellan EAP toll free number at *1-(800)-424-4039
<1-%28800%29-424-4039>, press 2 *for member services, or login online for
access to services:  www.magellanhealth.com/member.

*Trauma Related Resources:*

   - Impact of Traumatic Events
   <https://drive.google.com/a/cca.edu/file/d/0B47V5XdAJmjjMmVwR3JkX3owcnM/view?usp=sharing>

   - Trauma in the Community
   <https://drive.google.com/a/cca.edu/file/d/0B47V5XdAJmjjX1Q0QUhFOU82a00/view?usp=sharing>

   - Living With the Threat of Violence
   <https://drive.google.com/a/cca.edu/file/d/0B47V5XdAJmjjS2EyVl9MdktZaTg/view?usp=sharing>

   - Tips for Responding to Children & Youth
   <https://drive.google.com/a/cca.edu/file/d/0B47V5XdAJmjjYWlsRFg0MWRUSlE/view?usp=sharing>

Please feel free to use these resources to help you process this tragic
event.

Sincerely,
Steve Beal

-- 
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l