Subject: [Staff-l] Message re: President Trump's Recent Executive Order
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:15:23 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

I am deeply concerned by President Trump’s recent executive order,
“Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United
States.” Among many distressing things, this action severely restricts the
ability of citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering or
returning to the United States. This executive order is contrary to the
values of diversity and inclusion that we hold dear at CCA and is an
affront to the tradition of higher education in this country, which has
been enriched immeasurably by international scholarship, research, and
fellowship.

At CCA we are committed to supporting all members of our community who may,
either directly or indirectly, be affected by this executive order. Our
first priority has been to contact and support our international student
community. We are recommending that any students from the affected
countries suspend all travel plans until they are able to seek legal
counsel from an immigration attorney in the US. CCA’s International Student
Affairs/Programs (ISAP) team can provide a list of local immigration
attorneys to any student who wishes to speak to a legal expert. Students
can schedule an appointment <https://www.cca.edu/students/isap/contact>
with an ISAP adviser on either campus.

Here are some resources for students who may be experiencing stress as a
result of recent political events:

   - CCA offers free, professional, confidential counseling to students on
   both campuses. Students can call Student Affairs at 510.594.3666 or
   415.703.9570 to make an appointment.
   - If you are concerned about a student who might need support and
   assistance, we encourage you to fill out the CCA Cares form
   <https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form>. Appropriate staff
   members will follow up with the student.

Eligible faculty and staff can find resources through our Employee
Assistance Program provided by Claremont. Call 800.834.3773 or visit the
website <http://www.claremonteap.com/pages/cap.html> and use company name:
CCA.

Thus far, Trump’s order has produced much fear and confusion, sparked
protests, and brought about legal challenges. It’s expected that the
situation will continue to evolve in the coming days. We will closely
monitor events and provide timely information to our international students
and the CCA community in general.

Despite the actions of outside forces, CCA will continue to support and
stand with our students, faculty, and staff regardless of their national
origin, race, ethnicity, religious creed, age, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, or ability. We are proud to be part of an
international community of students and educators and will continue to
provide a supportive and welcoming environment for students, faculty, and
staff from all over the world.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

-- 
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l