Subject: [Staff-l] Leigh Markopoulos
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:00:42 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Leigh Markopoulos,
<https://www.cca.edu/academics/faculty/lmarkopoulos> chair of our
Curatorial Practice Program, died today in Los Angeles from injuries
sustained in a car accident. Family members as well as members of the CCA
community were at her side.

Leigh was a brilliant scholar, writer, and curator and dearly loved by her
students and colleagues. She thrived at CCA and was truly the heart and
soul of our Curatorial Practice Program, helping to launch the careers of
many young curators.

Leigh came to CCA in 2002 from the Serpentine Gallery in London, where she
served as exhibition organizer. She was deputy director of the CCA Wattis
Institute from 2002 to 2005, and taught in the CURP program beginning in
2003. After two years as director of the Rena Bransten Gallery in San
Francisco, Leigh returned to CCA to become chair of the CURP program in
2008.

She was a regular contributor to Art Practical and other arts publications,
and the author and editor of several catalogs on the work of contemporary
artists.

This is a devastating and heartbreaking loss. On behalf of the college I
extend my condolences to her parents, family members, and many friends and
colleagues.

A grief counselor will hold a session on Wednesday, March 1 from 12 to 2
p.m. in the new presentation space on the San Francisco campus. All members
of the CCA community are welcome to attend.

Our students may need support during this time. Professional, confidential
counseling is available free of charge to all students. To make a
counseling referral, please contact Student Affairs in Oakland at
510.594.3666 or in San Francisco at 415.703.9570.

Support services for staff and faculty are available through our Employee
Assistance Program. Contact Claremont at 800.834.3773 or
www.claremonteap.com.

At this time her family has not made arrangements for a service, but we
will keep you apprised. We intend to find an appropriate way to honor Leigh
and her lasting contributions. Leigh’s passion and dedication to her
profession and commitment to her students will be a cherished memory of her
legacy.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

-- 
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l