Subject: [Staff-l] Message in response to Charlottesville
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 10:41:10 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA faculty and staff,

August 12, 2017 was a dark day for our country. The hate-filled, violent
white supremacist rally in Charlottesville and its aftermath have left us
reeling. For me, it is deeply disturbing and frightening to watch the hate
and racism that is on public display in our country.

As an academic institution, as a nation, and as individuals, we must
unequivocally reject hate speech and violence as incompatible with our
mission and values. At CCA, we strive to build a diverse and inclusive
community where people of all races and religions, immigrants, LGBTQ
people, and people with disabilities have a voice and are respected and
valued.

As you are probably aware, two upcoming far-right rallies are planned for
this weekend in the Bay Area. On Saturday the Patriot Prayer group has a
pending permit for a rally at Crissy Field. On Sunday a No to Marxism
rally, planned by right-wing organizers, will take place at Berkeley’s
Civic Center Park. There are several counter-protests planned at various
locations on both sides of the Bay.

This is only the beginning of what no doubt will be a number of public
events around these issues. However you choose to participate, I strongly
advise you to do all you can to stay safe. Keep in mind that there are many
ways you can effectively protest without putting yourself in danger. The
organization A Force More Powerful <http://www.aforcemorepowerful.org/>offers
examples of nonviolent protest and activities that can help you relieve
stress, stay active, and make a difference. Here are some additional
resources:

   - 21 Things To Know About Your Right To Protest And How To Do It Safely
   <https://www.self.com/story/your-right-to-protest-and-how-to-do-it-safely>
   - SPLC: Ten Ways to Fight Hate
   <https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/08/14/splc-releases-new-edition-ten-ways-fight-hate-guide-after-charlottesville-attack>
   - City of Berkeley: With Rally Promoted, Stay Away from Conflict
   <https://www.cityofberkeley.info/City_Manager/Press_Releases/2017/2017-08-16_With_rally_promoted,_stay_away_from_conflict.aspx>

As makers and educators, we have a responsibility to engage with the
serious issues in our society. We also have a responsibility to guide and
support our students. I encourage you to engage with these issues in the
studios, classrooms, and housing through productive dialogue, pertinent
readings and assignments, exhibitions, events, and other learning
opportunities. Share your experiences with your colleagues and learn from
each other. If you find a student is in distress, please use the CCA Cares
form <https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form> to help them get the
care and support they need.

To be most effective in our roles as faculty and staff, we must remember to
take care of ourselves. I’d like to remind you that our Employee Assistance
Program provider Claremont <http://www.claremonteap.com/index.html> has
resources for benefits-eligible employees that may be helpful, including
free, confidential in-person counseling sessions and online resources.

In challenging times like these I feel fortunate to be a part of a creative
community that espouses strong, positive values such as social justice,
community engagement, collaboration, compassion, and environmental
responsibility. Stay strong. Stay safe. Our values will prevail.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l