Subject: [Staff-l] Message in response to DACA
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:22:59 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

Last week, the federal government announced that the Deferred Action for
Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program will be rescinded. With this decision,
thousands of students and others who contribute to the rich cultural fabric
of our nation face potential deportation if Congress does not identify a
solution for them to stay in the country.

As a community of artists, educators, and students, CCA continues to stand
firmly against the repeal of this program.

Diversity is at the heart of innovation. At CCA we live for originality and
creativity, both of which are fueled by the distinct voices of our students
regardless of their immigration status. There are DREAMers who have and
continue to make new art and inspire our community here at CCA every day
and I am writing to reiterate that we stand by them.

CCA does not share information with law enforcement regarding the
immigration status of undocumented or DACA status students and we will not
without a subpoena. We are continuing to work with other member
institutions at the Association of American Colleges & Universities to
advocate for immigration policies and programs that ensure protections for
the approximately 800,000 individuals who may be affected.

Most importantly, we want to ensure that our students, faculty, and staff
have the support they need. We are here to support all students, including
those who may be impacted by changes to the DACA program. More information
on DACA and CCA can be found on our website *here*
<https://www.cca.edu/admissions/undocumented> and a list of resources,
including emotional, legal, and financial support options can be found at
the bottom of this email. In addition, we encourage you to support one
another. If you or someone you know needs help, please take the time to
fill out a CCA Care <https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form>s
<https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form> Form
<https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form> to ensure that the
appropriate CCA staff members follow up and that resources are made
available in a timely manner.

I know many of you are hungry to make a change and to fight this decision
in any way you can. Art and craft are the building blocks of activism and I
encourage you to continue to use your practice to make the world a better
place and to empower yourselves and those around you. Talk to one another,
learn from one another, support one another, and remember that if we stand
together we can make a difference.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

*Please know that our colleagues in student affairs and throughout the
College are here to support all students, including those who may be
impacted by changes to the DACA program.  If you communicate with a DACA
student who has questions about employment, please advise them to contact
Diana Chávez ([email-masked] <[email-masked]>**), director of career
development.  DREAMers with questions about financial aid should contact
Dewayne Barnes ([email-masked] <[email-masked]>**), director of
financial aid.  Those seeking referrals to immigration attorneys can
contact Jessica McMillan ([email-masked] <[email-masked]>**) or
Jennifer Glass ([email-masked] <[email-masked]>**), the SF-based
director and OAK-based assistant director of international student affairs
and programs. More information on the legal implications of the decision to
repeal DACA can be found online **here*
<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1115857581678&ca=abc9dc18-5b70-41d9-a11a-59c2386b61dc>
*.*

*We would** like to remind you that free professional, confidential
counseling is available to all CCA students through CCA's Counseling
Services. To make an appointment, contact Student Affairs in Oakland at *
*510.594.3666** or in San Francisco at **415.703.9570**. CCA's mental
health crisis hotline is also available 24 hours, seven days a week, by
calling **510.594.5099**.*

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l