Subject: [Staff-l] Nance O'Banion
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 14:47:47 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

*Dear CCA Community, It is with great sadness that I inform you that Nance
O’Banion, artist and CCA Professor Emeritus, passed away this past weekend
due to illness. Nance was a passionate and dedicated educator and a dear
part of the CCA community for over 40 years. She taught innovative and
evolving programs in the Fine Arts, with a focus on printmaking, textiles,
papermaking, and book arts. She led courses within the school’s
individualized major and graduate programs that—like her art—reflected a
multimedia, interdisciplinary, and often collaborative approach to
creativity. Nance was also fiercely dedicated to giving back to the
community at CCA. She served as Printmaking chair, president of the Faculty
Senate, and a member of the Curriculum Committee and the Graduate Advisory
Committee, in addition to being a mentor to many of us.Outside of CCA,
Nance is internationally renowned for her work, which ranged from intimate,
drawn or painted wood tablets to carved doors, unique and limited-edition
books, and large sculptures. For more than 30 years she had exhibitions in
the United States, Denmark, Japan, Italy, and other locations across the
globe. Her work continues to live on in the collections of the Getty Museum
in Los Angeles, the Oakland Museum of California, The Museum of Art and
Design in New York, Zurich’s Museum Bellerive, and many more. Most of all,
I know that I, and others, will miss Nance’s spirit. She was a true
believer in community, and she never missed an opportunity to work with or
learn from her peers. She made connections wherever she went, and for that
reason alone her absence will be acutely felt amongst all of us. On behalf
of the college, I extend my condolences to Nance’s husband Kerry and
daughter Megan, her colleagues, and her friends. We are also planning an
event with Kerry to celebrate Nance’s life and her influence as an artist
and educator in early June. We will keep you apprised of the details.
 Sincerely, President Stephen BealNance O'Banion *

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l