Subject: [Staff-l] News from President Beal
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 14:14:14 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=http%3a%2f%2fcca.edu&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737126&isbbox=1>

*Letter from the President*

*Spring 2018*

Dear Friends,

We will soon conduct *CCA’s 111th commencement ceremony*. This milestone
inspires deep appreciation for the thousands of students, alumni, faculty,
staff, and trustees who have done incredible work within and beyond the
college’s walls. CCA is the excellent school it is today thanks to this
special community. Decade after decade we’ve been sustained by a shared
belief in the power of creative work. I’ve never been more proud of CCA’s
history or more excited by the opportunities ahead. I’m delighted to share
important news as we celebrate the close of another successful academic
year.

*2018 Honorary Doctorate Candidates*

CCA will recognize two individuals who have made profound and enduring
contributions to culture, craft, scholarship, and studio practice at our
annual commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 12. *Groundbreaking visual
artist and faculty emerita Lia Cook* and *renowned curator, writer, and
historian Glenn Adamson* will receive honorary doctorate degrees during the
undergraduate ceremony.

Both Adamson and Cook reflect the values of our institution and, through
their work, represent the kind of creative thinking we champion at CCA.
Each of them draws thoughtful and nuanced connections across boundaries of
time, material, art, and technology to find new meaning through their
practice. We are honored to have them join us in celebrating our 2018
graduating class and inspire this next generation of artists, designers,
architects, and writers.

*CCA Gala on May 23*

Every year, CCA organizes a gala in support of student scholarships. In
2017, we raised over $1 million for student aid, and we hope to exceed that
goal this year. *On May 23, 2018,* CCA will welcome over 400 guests to our
gala celebrating *trustee Kay Kimpton Walker*. Walker has been a champion
of artists and designers for decades. Through her 26 years running K
Kimpton Contemporary Art, her tenure as president of the San Francisco Art
Dealers Association, and her 12 years as a CCA trustee, she has devoted
countless hours in support of creative people. At CCA she holds the record
for co-chairing galas (seven in all) and has raised over $4 million for
scholarships. It’s time we honored her hard work. I extend warm thanks to
trustees Cathy Podell and Stanlee Gatti for co-chairing the 2018 gala.

*Other Year-End Events*

Our students, faculty, and staff are working hard to gear up for *CCA’s
annual Commencement Exhibition*, which will be on view on our San Francisco
campus *May 10-13*. Additional events, including the 2018 Fashion
Experience, will showcase the work of graduating students at major arts and
design venues in San Francisco. Visit *cca.edu/2018
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=http%3a%2f%2fcca.edu%2f2018&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737127&isbbox=1>*
for
all the details.

Congratulations as well to those whose graduating thesis shows opened
earlier this spring, including our MFA Fine Arts students who presented at
Minnesota Street Project in March and April and our Graduate Program in
Curatorial Practice students who curated the exhibition *Artwork for
Bedrooms*, which is still on view at the CCA Wattis Institute for
Contemporary Arts through May 12. Both shows have demonstrated the
incredible talent of our students.

*Campus Planning*

*MacArthur Award–winning architect Jeanne Gang* and her firm Studio Gang
are spearheading the design of CCA’s new expanded campus. Gang visited this
March for a public lecture, which was attended by *over 200 students,
faculty, staff, and community members*. Within her presentation, she shared
early renderings of the design for CCA’s project.

The design, conceived through collaborative efforts with CCA faculty and
staff, showcases a vibrant indoor/outdoor environment with spaces for our
community that make programs more visible to one another and encourage the
cross-pollination of ideas. The team will continue to work on the design
over the summer. Visit *cca.edu/new-campus*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cca.edu%2fnew-campus&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737128&isbbox=1>
to
see the most current renderings.

The work with Studio Gang is just one part of campus unification. Thanks to
the generous support of CCA trustee Simon Blattner and his family, our
newest student housing project, *75 Arkansas*, *is slated to open its doors
to nearly 200 students this coming August*. We are also working with the
city to finalize plans for *another housing complex at 188 Hooper Street*.

The vision of our new, expanded campus has always been to bring our
community together to create a richer educational experience for our
students. The expansion of our academic building and the new student
housing are only the framework for what we imagine will develop organically
within these spaces—the building of an even stronger community, the
creation of new adjacencies between our programs, opportunities for hybrid
experimentation and evolution, and an amplification of the kind of creative
ingenuity we champion at CCA.

Once again, thank you for continuing CCA’s legacy of creation and
innovation and for continuing to advance our college and make it even more
extraordinary than it already is.

I look forward to seeing you at our commencement events. Best wishes for a
wonderful summer.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal
PRESIDENT
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cca.edu%2f&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737129&isbbox=1>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fCaliforniaCollegeoftheArts&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737130&isbbox=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2ftwitter.com%2fCACollegeofArts%3fref_src%3dtwsrc%255Egoogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Eauthor&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737131&isbbox=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.instagram.com%2fcacollegeofarts%2f%3fhl%3den&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737132&isbbox=0>
Privacy Policy
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fbbox.blackbaudhosting.com%2fwebforms%2fservice%2fpage.aspx%3fpid%3d247%26srctid%3d1%26erid%3d617055399%26trid%3dfa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=-1&isbbox=0>
|
Unsubscribe
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=https%3a%2f%2fbbox.blackbaudhosting.com%2fwebforms%2fservice%2fpage.aspx%3fpid%3d233%26srctid%3d1%26erid%3d617055399%26trid%3dfa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=-1&isbbox=0>
California College of the Arts
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cca.edu&srcid=8109506&srctid=1&erid=617055399&trid=fa92dbbb-0eeb-49c3-b1c8-c7d5ff21e089&linkid=94737135&isbbox=0>
1111 8th Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1111+8th+Street,+San+Francisco,+CA++94107&entry=gmail&source=g>
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l