Subject: [Staff-l] Message from the President
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Ann Hatch <[email-masked]>, Ann Morhauser <[email-masked]>, Arthur Gensler <[email-masked]>, Byron Kuth <[email-masked]>, Calvin Wheeler <[email-masked]>, Carl Bass <[email-masked]>, Carlie Wilmans <[email-masked]>, Catherine Courage <[email-masked]>, Cathy Podell <[email-masked]>, David Kirshman <[email-masked]>, Diane Christensen <[email-masked]>, "F. Noel Perry" <[email-masked]>, Gene Savin <[email-masked]>, George Jewett <[email-masked]>, Jack Wadswort
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 09:18:22 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

It is with enormous sadness that I inform you that beloved CCA photography
alumna and faculty emerita, Sue Ciriclio, passed away unexpectedly over the
weekend.

Sue was a passionate and dedicated educator and a cherished part of the CCA
community for over 40 years. She joined CCA as a transfer student from
Phoenix, Arizona and was in the inaugural cohort of photography majors at
CCA graduating in 1971 with distinction. Her undergraduate core studio work
made an indelible impression on Sue and shaped her studio practice in
profound ways for the rest of her life.

Shortly after graduating, Sue earned her MFA from Mills College and
re-joined CCA as a faculty member to instruct CCA’s first ever color
photography course, going on to teach courses ranging from basic black and
white to media history, professional practice, and a variety of graduate
courses challenging students to give their very best and that no detail was
too small. A thoughtful, thorough and extraordinarily generous instructor,
Sue was deeply invested in her student’s artwork, helping them to realize
projects according to their own creative visions. As an advisor, Sue
invested great energy in helping students map their course electives to
ensure their educational experience was enriching and supportive to their
practice. In addition, Sue was a dedicated mentor, guiding generations of
students along the path to becoming great teachers.

Sue was also deeply committed to giving back to the CCA community. She
served as the Photography chair for 13 years, interim then full Vice
President of Academic Affairs, president of the Faculty Senate, all while
inspiring and influencing hundreds of students who passed through the
photography program. During her time at CCA, Sue was instrumental in
building the Photography program from a handful of majors to a nationally
recognized program, which has produced many influential artists, curators,
writers and teachers.

Outside of CCA, Sue is nationally renowned for her work and received an NEA
Fellowship and has been listed in Who’s Who in American Art, Education and
Women. Her work has appeared in the collections of SFMOMA, Oakland Museum
of California and Mills College.

It is difficult to imagine CCA without Sue, but it is important we come
together to share remembrances and honor all that she contributed.  We are
planning a gathering to celebrate Sue’s life and her influence as an artist
and educator in the fall. We will keep you apprised of the details as plans
evolve.

On behalf of the college, I extend my deepest condolences to Sue’s
colleagues, and her friends.

Sincerely,

Steve Beal

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l