Subject: [Staff-l] Message to the CCA Community
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:37:43 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

Recently, our nation has witnessed a deluge of disturbing acts of violence
that sadly are becoming all too familiar in our everyday lives. In the past
few weeks alone, we’ve witnessed attacks against Jewish lives at the Tree
of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh; against black lives in Jeffersontown,
Kentucky; against transgender, genderqueer, gender nonconforming, and
intersex lives by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; against
immigrant and undocumented lives by the nation’s President; and against
women’s lives at the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Brett
Kavanaugh. Throughout all of these events, our sense of citizenship is
being torn apart by alarming partisan politics, and the hard work our
society has done to fight for equity and equality seems to be unraveling
before our very eyes.

In times like these, we urge you to support and care for one another. We
also encourage you to look around. Our community at CCA is in itself a
beacon of hope and inspiration.

Our college is made up of creative and passionate students, faculty,
alumni, and staff who recognize our responsibility to promote social
justice and create a culture that advances humanity instead of setting it
back. We are committed to inclusivity, equality, and the power of our work
to radically impact societal transgressions and engage in civic discourse.
Two months into our fall semester, we have already witnessed these values
in action. Members of our community have worked together to create a
movement on campus that raises awareness about our rights and the ways we
can use our voices. They have organized voter registration booths,
transformed CCA into a polling location, and promoted town halls,
exhibitions, and events.

Our next election is a week away; now is the time to use your voice and act.
For those of you who can vote, we encourage you to do so. For those of you
who are denied access to the ballot box or do not hold that privilege, we
encourage you to use your voice in every other way that you can. Engage
with these issues in your studios, classrooms, and hallways. Engage with
these issues in your art, design, and written word. Join events organized
by our community.

We also encourage you to take care of yourselves. If you or another student
is in distress, please use the CCA Cares form
<https://www.cca.edu/students/dean/cares/form> to help get the care and
support that’s needed. Our Employee Assistance Program provider, Claremont
<http://www.claremonteap.com/index.html>, also has resources for
benefits-eligible employees that may be helpful, including free,
confidential in-person counseling sessions and online resources.

In challenging times like these, we feel fortunate to be amidst all of you.
Thank you for the work you do every day to uphold the college’s values and
for being such important contributors to our culture.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal, President and Tammy Rae Carland, Provost
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l