Subject: [Staff-l] CCA Trustee Emeritus Leo Helzel
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:37:31 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

It is with sadness that I write to share the news of the passing California
College of the Arts Trustee Emeritus Leo Helzel. Leo was an exceptional
individual -- warm, wise and generous -- who provided insight and
leadership during an important phase of CCA history.

Leo served on our board of trustees for a remarkable 17 years, from 1968 to
1985. During that tenure he played a vital role in the development of the
board as a robust governing body, working extensively on the board bylaws
and cultivating new trustees. When he stepped down from active trustee
service, the board unanimously voted to elect Leo to trustee emeritus
status which he sustained for 34 years.

It was not enough for Leo to strengthen CCA leadership, he also championed
CCA students and helped develop the San Francisco campus. Leo, and his
wonderful wife Flo, have supported CCA fine arts students through a series
of generous scholarship gifts. They created the Leo & Florence Helzel
Endowed Scholarship and later expanded it to honor their son-in-law and
current CCA trustee David Kirshman. In addition, they named the Florence
and Leo B. Helzel Boardroom on the CCA San Francisco campus.

Leo’s passion for arts education and his thoughtful, stalwart support will
impact CCA students for generations to come. Leo was a Trustee for Golden
Gate University and the first chair of the Haas School of Business Board of
Advisers. Donations in Leo’s memory may be directed to UC Berkeley’s Magnes
Collection of Jewish Art and Life.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

-- 

Stephen Beal President
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l