Subject: [Staff-l] Message from the President: Kevin Killian
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 10:43:04 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

It is with a heavy heart that I deliver the news of the passing of Kevin
Killian, beloved faculty member of the graduate writing program. Kevin died
peacefully and painlessly on Saturday, June 15 after battling with health
issues related to cancer treatments. He was surrounded by his wife Dodie
Bellamy and family, who played songs and read poetry until his passing.

Kevin joined CCA in 2005 and was known for his generosity, both as an
educator and a colleague. In the classroom, he was a steadfast advocate for
his students. He championed their work, supported their projects, and could
always be found at their events. As a colleague, Kevin was a perennial
collaborator. Whether it was small press publications, research, or
performance, he loved involving others in his journey to manifest writing
in new ways—a vanguard writer ahead of his time.

Kevin joined San Francisco’s literary community in 1980 as one of the
original New Narrative writers. Over the course of his rich career, he
published several award-winning books across a variety of genres, wrote
almost 40 plays for the San Francisco Poets Theater, and contributed
greatly to scholarship on American poet Jack Spicer. Kevin was a prolific
writer, original thinker, generous educator, and earnest collaborator who
will be greatly missed. A tribute was published last night on ArtForum.

On behalf of the college, I extend my deepest condolences to Kevin’s wife
Dodie Bellamy, his family, and his numerous friends both on and off campus.
He will be warmly remembered as a compassionate soul that cared deeply
about the written word and the education of young writers and artists.

Sincerely,
Stephen Beal
-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l