Subject: [Staff-l] CCA’s values of respect, compassion, and inclusion
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 09:15:50 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Students, Faculty, and Staff,

There are countless reasons to feel grateful and proud of this outstanding
institution and community to which we all belong. Primary among them is the
foundation of collective values upon which CCA is built: The cultivation of
intellectual curiosity and risk-taking, collaboration and innovation,
compassion and integrity; the promotion of diversity and inclusion on our
campuses; and our role as proponents of social justice and community
engagement. Our students, faculty, and staff set an outstanding example of
living these values, and I’m honored daily to be a member of this
community.

Occasionally, however, the words or actions of some individuals undermine
these values that are so central to the work we do and the society we seek
to build. During this time of extraordinary polarization and anxiety in our
nation and our world, I am taking this opportunity to ask that we use the
moment of reflection afforded by the upcoming break and the new year to
recommit to these values. I ask that we speak and act unequivocally, with
compassion and integrity, when any member of our community is diminished
for their identity, culture, or beliefs.

At CCA, we respect and embrace the multitude of identities and the rich
diversity that contribute to our campus culture. We do not tolerate acts of
anonymous aggression or violence. We do not indulge the promotion of a
“cancel culture,” in which people attempt to erase those with differing
perspectives, beliefs, or points of view. Rather, we must engage in the
critical thinking and inclusive dialogue that are so central to our
pedagogy. We must support one another in the types of thoughtful discourse
that are vital to our values as a cultural and educational institution. As
a college of the arts, we have a particular responsibility to hone those
skills through rigorous critique and practice. We must also, always, do so
with compassion and respect.

I wish you a safe and restful winter break, and look forward to welcoming
you home to campus when we come back together in the new year.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal, President

Resources

   -

   If you are a current student and would like to schedule a confidential
   meeting with a CCA counselor, please schedule an appointment here
   <https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/counseling/>.
   -

   If you are a faculty or staff member with concerns about a student, or a
   student in need of support, please complete a CCA Cares
   <https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/dean-students/cca-cares/> form.
   -

   If you are a faculty or staff member who has experienced a threat or
   harassment, contact Human Resources at [email-masked].
   -

   All benefits-eligible employees can access counseling services through
   the employee assistance program offered by Claremont at 800-834-3773.
   -

   For more information about the college’s online diversity training,
   email [email-masked].

-- 

Stephen Beal President

[email-masked] | o 510.594.3630
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l