Subject: [Staff-l] Message from the President: Update on SEIU election
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:27:40 -0700
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear Faculty and Staff,

Last Friday you received an email from me about the request from the
Service Employees International Union (SEIU) for a representation election
among CCA adjuncts and lecturers. I wanted to update you on what has
transpired since then.

Earlier this week tentative arrangements were made on terms for the
election, including how and when the election will be held and who is
eligible to vote ("voting unit"). Below I have outlined the details.

*When is the election and how will it be administered?*

The election will be administered by the National Labor Relations Board
(NLRB). The election will be conducted by mail ballot only, on the
following dates:

            September 16, 2014: Ballots sent out to all eligible voters

            September 30, 2014: Ballots must be received by the NLRB

            October 3, 2014: Ballots counted by the NLRB

*Who is eligible to vote?*

The voting unit has been determined by the National Labor Relations Board
(NLRB) as follows:

All regular unranked faculty employed in the classifications of lecturer,
senior lecturer, adjunct professor, and senior adjunct professor in
academic-degree granting programs. "Regular" means all unranked faculty in
the specified classifications noted above who have, or will have, taught a
course in a degree-granting program in Spring 2014, Summer Term 2014, or
Fall 2014, unless there is no longer a reasonable expectation by CCA and
the employee of continued employment with CCA.

As I stated previously, I advocate for an open and deliberative process,
one that promotes an informed electorate and underscores the principles of
academic freedom. I urge all eligible faculty to cast their ballots, and I
strongly encourage everyone directly impacted by this important long-term
decision to participate. It should be our collective goal to exceed a 90
percent turnout of voters.

We have added an FAQ page
<https://www.cca.edu/about/administration/academic-affairs/union-faq> on
the CCA website, where you may also submit questions. If you have any
questions and concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me ([email-masked])
or Provost Melanie Corn ([email-masked]).

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal

President

--------
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l