Subject: [Staff-l] CCA Trustee Barclay Simpson
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:29:25 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA community,

It is with great sadness I inform you that longtime CCA trustee Barclay
Simpson passed away on Saturday, November 8, at the age of 93. Barclay was
one of CCA's most enthusiastic supporters. He believed deeply in the
transformative power of education and played an important part in the
stewardship of the college for the past 28 years. Barclay was a dear friend
and trusted advisor to me, and I will feel his loss deeply.

Barclay and his wife, Sharon, have given generously to CCA to support a
number of projects, and you can find the Simpson name prominently displayed
on both campuses. A gift from the Simpsons in 1998 helped us build the
Sharon Hanley Simpson Library, a vital part of the San Francisco campus.
The Simpson Library facilitated a major expansion in academic resources,
including strategic growth in the library collection. You can also find the
Simpson name on the award-winning sculpture facility in Oakland, which was
completed in 1993. The Simpsons have also been generous supporters of the
Center for Art and Public Life and the CCA Scholarship Fund. In keeping
with their commitment to supporting art in the community, they endowed the
Barclay Simpson Chair of Community Arts at CCA.

One of Barclay's lasting legacies is the Barclay Simpson Award, established
in 1987. This generous award has given 87 CCA graduate student artists
crucial financial support and an exhibition opportunity at a pivotal point
in their development. The list of Simpson award winners who have gone on to
become successful and recognized artists is impressive.

In acknowledgement of his many contributions to the community, Simpson was
awarded an honorary doctorate degree from CCA in 2005. During Barclay’s
long tenure on the CCA Board of Trustees,
he served in several leadership positions, including advancement committee
chair for six years. During that time, he increased contributions
significantly, brought on new trustees and new donors, and made leadership
gifts that enabled the college's expansion in the late 1990s.

Barclay Simpson was chairman emeritus of Simpson Mfg. Co. He served on the
boards of several Bay Area organizations, including Berkeley Art Museum and
Girls, Inc. of Alameda County.

I extend my deepest condolences to Sharon and the Simpson family. In
keeping with his wishes there will be no memorial service. CCA will explore
an opportunity to honor Barclay as part of the Simpson Awards exhibition
and ceremony this spring. We will keep you informed as plans evolve.

Sincerely,
Stephen Beal

--------------
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l