Subject: [Staff-l] Mural on Martinez Hall Vandalized
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:34:01 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

Sometime between midnight and 8 am this morning, the insect mural on
Martinez Hall was vandalized. After an assessment by our Facilities team,
it was determined that the mural cannot be restored.

The mural was created in 2001 by two CCA students. Over the years the mural
has been pictured in many of the college's printed and web-based materials
and has served as a focal point for both the Oakland campus and the
Painting and Printmaking programs, which have studios in Martinez Hall. The
building is named for Xavier Martinez, a prominent and influential
California artist who taught at CCA from 1909 to 1942.

We expect all members of the CCA community to uphold the college’s values
of artistic and academic excellence, compassion, integrity, and global
citizenship. Willful destruction of campus property is something that we
take very seriously, and the destruction of another artist's work violates
the values of our creative community. In that spirit, we encourage anyone
who has information about this incident to come forward.

In addition to paint splashed over the mural, the message "Where's the
diversity?" was written on the wall. The President's Diversity Steering
Group (PDSG) will be meeting this Thursday and I will ask the group to
discuss this incident and suggest some next steps. PDSG's charge is to
develop recommendations for improving the college's policies and practices
regarding diversity, inclusion, and equity on campus. We will host some
gatherings in the near future where the entire CCA community can contribute
to this important conversation.

Sincerely,

Stephen Beal
President

--------
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l