Subject: [Staff-l] Plans for Student Housing
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 16:31:02 -0800
List-Id: All-Staff mailing list <staff-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

As we enter the next stage of our campus planning effort, student housing
is one of our top priorities. Given the rising costs of living in the Bay
Area, devising both short-term and long-term housing strategies for
students and faculty is crucial. We are thrilled that the Panoramic student
residences recently opened in San Francisco, however this will not
accommodate all our future needs.

Our goal is to have a minimum of 750 beds on or near the SF campus by 2025.
We're excited to report that we currently have two more San Francisco
student residences in the development stage of planning with target opening
dates in 2018 and 2019.

In light of these developments, we have been looking closely at our
satellite housing sites—specifically Webster Hall and the Avenue Apartments
in Oakland. While these facilities have served us well in the past, our
recent campus planning efforts with Gensler have revealed that these
buildings are not optimal for continued use as CCA student housing.

It was determined that the best solution would be to sell these properties
and reinvest the income to improve housing and other facilities for
students. We have successfully sold Webster Hall and recently we have found
a buyer for the Avenue Apartments on Broadway. The arrangements include
leasing back the space until the new student residences are ready. Student
housing will continue to be provided at these sites through summer 2018, at
which point we intend to have enough beds in San Francisco to replace
Webster Hall and the Avenue Apartments.

The ground-floor offices on Broadway (currently housing the Center for Art
and Public Life and Educational Technology Services) eventually will be
relocated. We have contracted Jensen Architects to work with CAPL and ETS
staff members on a relocation plan to ensure a smooth transition with
minimal interruption. Both offices will continue to function in their same
capacities. We will send an update once we have more information about the
new location and the timing of the move.

The ultimate goal of our campus planning effort is to provide the best
possible experience for our students by creating new, improved, integrated,
and environmentally-responsible facilities for making, learning, and
living. Student housing is an essential part of the plan.

We'll continue to keep you apprised of our student housing plans as we move
forward. Please check the campus planning blog
<https://sites.google.com/a/cca.edu/campus/> for updates.

-- 
Stephen Beal
President
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94618
and
1111-Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Email: [email-masked]
Telephone: 510-594-3630
Fax: 510-594-3797
_______________________________________________
Staff-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/staff-l