Subject: [Faculty-l] Upholding Racial Justice and Equity
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 18:29:49 -0700
List-Id: All-Faculty mailing list <faculty-l.lists.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

The images of recent days have left an imprint that will never leave my
mind. Through the gut-wrenching video of George Floyd’s unconscionable
murder to the scenes of anguish, anger, and heartbreaking sadness
documented by journalists and citizens alike, we’re called to bear witness
to the grim reality of this country’s failure, yet again, to protect and
respect Black lives.

The pandemic had already laid bare the inequities—social, racial, economic,
political—of a societal structure that is, at its core, terribly unjust,
built on centuries of systemic oppression. The pandemic that has already
killed more than 100,000 people in this country has been especially deadly
for Black Americans, who are disproportionately affected by job losses and
lack of access to healthcare, and often inordinately at risk in front-line
jobs.

The killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and,
tragically, many others have layered on top of this yet another example of
the deep structural racism that endures. The images that enable each of us
to bear witness, that provide a level of proximity to such acts of
brutality and violence, also carry a demand of accountability. As an
institution of higher education, CCA has a particular ability—and
responsibility—to be a component of change. And we must do better.

So many of you have been doing this important work for a long time, through
your art, your teaching, your activism. Many members of our community live
with the impact of racism daily. Others serve as allies in this work. As we
mourn George Floyd and countless other Black lives lost, my hope is that we
can draw upon our community’s shared expertise, creativity, and energy to
support one another in the continuation of this work—not just this week or
this year, but every day going forward.

As an institution with the power and privilege to do so, CCA must now
double down on our commitment to improving access and opportunities for
underrepresented groups, and to throw ourselves wholeheartedly into our
role as a proponent of social justice and community engagement. These are
among CCA’s stated values, and we stand in action and solidarity with those
who are putting themselves on the line to uphold these values and demand
equity, inclusion, justice, and agency.

Today, as one step, I would like to hear from you. Please feel free to
reach out; I am here and I am listening. What resources have you found
helpful that you would be willing to share with other members of the CCA
community? This week, CCA will launch a new Portal page, Racial Justice and
Equity Resources, where we will compile resources shared by and for our
community—things to read, groups to join, legal resources, creative
actions. We are also planning additional forums for listening and
conversation, and will share information at the upcoming staff and faculty
meetings. If you would like to share any comments, concerns, resources, or
suggestions, please do so at this link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSegeG1HlLmuO1tTyt-6gxwDpe2dYmIqVYSWbGm4s6wPax8cEw/viewform?usp=sf_link>,
or reply directly to this message. The dean of students and vice president
of human resources will also follow up with additional resources.

Please be well and safe,

Steve
_______________________________________________
Faculty-l mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cca.edu/mailman/listinfo/faculty-l