Subject: [All Staff] Stay safe: help create a culture of care as COVID cases rise
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 11:25:35 -0800
List-Id: <allstaff.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

I write today to share my concern for our CCA students, faculty, staff,
families, and friends as COVID–19 cases surge in California, across the
country, and around the globe. The pandemic that upended our world early
last spring has loomed large for many months now, and has affected all of
us. Currently, our state is experiencing the fastest increase in cases
since the pandemic began, and nearly every county—including here in the Bay
Area—is pulling an “emergency brake,” as California Governor Gavin Newsom
put it, reimposing restrictions to help limit the spread of the virus. Many
other regions of the country have been hit even harder.

As we head into Thanksgiving week, when many of us will want to be together
with friends and family, I urge everyone to remain vigilant and double down
on the actions needed to keep yourself, your family, and your community
safe. Wear a mask. Maintain social distancing. Wash your hands frequently.
And please, resist the temptation to let your guard down or gather indoors
with people outside your immediate household. Help create the culture of
care and consideration that will be necessary through these next difficult
months to get to the other side of this pandemic.

There is reason for optimism. In the past week, two pharmaceutical
companies announced that vaccines currently in development have been highly
effective in advanced clinical trials, and others are likely to follow.
While there are still obstacles to overcome and widespread vaccination
remains months away, this is real progress, and it offers hope as we
continue planning for a phased return to campus (watch your inbox for an
update on spring 2021 that will go out later today).

But we’re not there yet. So please, stay safe, stay disciplined, stay
distant. Care for one another now, so we can all be together again in the
future.

Take care,

Steve

Reminder:  Please report all student-related confirmed COVID–19 diagnoses
or suspected infections to the Office of the Dean of Students (
[email-masked] and [email-masked]) with the subject line:
FYI COVID Student Case Referral (+ student’s initials). The Dean of
Students office will follow up with the student for support and additional
resources
<https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/health-wellness/novel-coronavirus-covid19/health-resources/>.
Faculty and staff who are experiencing symptoms, have been exposed, or have
tested positive for COVID–19 should contact Human Resources <[email-masked]>.