Subject: [All Staff] Message from President Beal
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], All Faculty <[email-masked]>, All Staff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 17:16:41 -0800
List-Id: <allstaff.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

The insurrection that took place in our nation’s capitol yesterday was
shocking. It was a stunning display of white privilege, abuse of power, and
willful disregard for truth and fairness, things that have no place in our
society and stand in stark opposition to the values of our CCA community.
It was also a jarring contrast to the day before, when we saw a glimpse of
the promise our fragile democracy still holds.

On Tuesday I, like many of you, watched late into the night as returns came
in from the Senate races in Georgia—races in which voters—especially young,
African American, and marginalized voters—defied intense suppression
efforts and turned out to make their voices heard. We owe a debt of
gratitude to Stacey Abrams, Keisha Lance Bottoms, and the multitudes of
others—including members of our own CCA community—who worked tirelessly to
register voters, get people to the polls, and reclaim our democracy.

What that mob did yesterday—what they were incited and enabled to do—is
unconscionable. But the chambers they defiled will soon be occupied by the
two newly elected senators from Georgia, who will join an incoming
administration that is much more closely aligned with the values of equity,
social justice, environmental sustainability, education, fairness, and
diversity that underpin our work as members of CCA’s creative community.

The creativity and determination of young people, like our students, has
inspired us throughout this challenging year. In the midst of darkness and
cynicism, we are also witnessing the kind of creative activism that will
make meaningful change in our world.

Sincerely,

Steve