Subject: [All Staff] Honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:52:49 -0800
List-Id: <allstaff.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

On Monday we honor the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as a national
holiday in recognition of his life and work. Many choose to celebrate his
legacy as a day of service and reflection, affirming the principles and
values he lived and taught—racial equity, justice, compassion, and
nonviolence.

These values seem in short supply in our country right now. Last week, we
witnessed unconscionable acts of violence as a pro-Trump mob stormed and
desecrated our nation’s Capitol, leaving five people dead and our democracy
deeply shaken. We’ve been warned of plans for further violence this Sunday
and on Inauguration Day as extremist groups—fueled by conspiracy theories
and white supremacy, and egged on by self-serving leaders who stoke hate
and fear—threaten our seats of government, democratically elected
representatives, and communities.

As we brace for the coming days, I urge you to take care for your safety,
and to be kind and generous with yourself and others as we each work to
process what is happening and navigate these difficult days. I encourage
you to look ahead toward the promising signals that we may soon begin to
rebuild our democracy, to repair the foundation that has been so badly
damaged.

On January 20, Joe Biden and (Oakland’s own) Kamala Harris will be
inaugurated as the United States’ new president and vice president. They
will replace an administration whose policies have so often contradicted
the values we embrace as a college that teaches critical thinking and
making; promotes sustainability and social justice; and thrives on the
diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences of our members, who come
to CCA from across the country and around the world. Wednesday’s
inauguration offers not only a symbolic shift for our nation, but a
tangible one, bringing real changes in the policies that will guide our
response to the pandemic, immigration, funding for higher education, racial
equity, and many other areas that directly affect our community.

In the coming days, Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff will join the U.S.
Senate as the newest senators from Georgia; likely in time to participate
in President Trump’s second impeachment. Warnock, who will be Georgia’s
first Black senator, is a long-time advocate for accessible health care,
environmental sustainability, and voting rights. He was also the senior
pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, the spiritual home of Dr.
King.

The election of these two senators is the direct result of people who have
continued the work of Dr. King and others, from fighting the blatant
disenfranchisement of Black voters through Jim Crow laws in King’s day, to
overcoming attempts to suppress the voices of marginalized voters in 2020.

Building on the principles of creative citizenship outlined in CCA’s Creative
Accord
<https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/division-student-affairs/student-affairs-news-announcements/creative-accord/>,
the Office of Student Life has compiled a list of opportunities to honor
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
<https://portal.cca.edu/thriving/student-life/updates/opportunities-honor-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-day-january-18-2021/>.
My own plans include the National Day of Racial Healing
<https://healourcommunities.org/day-of-racial-healing/>, sponsored by the
W.K. Kellogg Foundation, and “Where Do We Go From Here
<https://arts.stanford.edu/event/89775/>,” a documentary film festival and
webinar from the Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute at
Stanford. I encourage you to join me and others on Monday in service and
advocacy, as we reflect on the words and actions of the man we honor on
that day. I hope you will find both solace and inspiration.

Sincerely,

Steve