Subject: [All Faculty] Honoring Art Gensler’s Board Service
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 11:17:10 -0800
List-Id: <nested_in_allfaculty.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

With gratitude for his tremendous leadership and generosity, I share news
that CCA Board of Trustees Chair Art Gensler will step down from board
service at the end of the spring semester. After 11 years on the CCA board
and four years serving as board chair, Art will not only be greatly missed
by his fellow trustees, but also by the many staff, faculty, alumni, and
students he has inspired with his passion for art, architecture, and design
education. The board will work with former chairs and the Committee on
Trustees to elect our next chair at the end of Art’s term in June. We will
be honoring Art’s service with a tribute video–please see details below.

Art joined our board in 2010, and soon assumed a leadership role as
inaugural chair of the Facilities Committee, becoming deeply involved in
planning for CCA’s unification, including the architect selection process
for the expanded campus. Few can match Art’s eloquence and enthusiasm for
the vital benefits of CCA’s new unified campus in San Francisco—not only
for our students, but for the future of creative practice and for the city
and region. In 2017, Art was elected chair of the board. In this role, he
became the champion for our transformational unification project, taking on
leadership of the quiet phase of our Maker/Meets/Future Campaign to fund
it.

Not one to ask for support where he has not already given generously
himself, Art’s philanthropic contributions to CCA are numerous and
long-standing. He made his first gift to CCA in 1994, and over the years
supported numerous initiatives including scholarships. He went on to become
a lead donor to the Maker/Meets/Future campaign, giving generously toward
our new campus project and expanded support for students.

Whether raising funds for student scholarships or being a staple at CCA
events and exhibitions, Art’s interactions with the college are imbued with
a genuine love for the school. He has told me that of all his many
engagements with CCA, his favorite is attending commencement ceremonies.
His pride in our students shines through as he addresses the graduating
class with enthusiasm and excitement for all they will accomplish.

On a personal note, I’ve considered it an honor and a privilege to work
with Art as chair of our board. He is an invaluable thought partner and
friend, and recently our collaboration has been especially critical. I
couldn’t have asked for a better copilot to face the challenges of this
difficult year.

As an in-person, college-wide celebration of Art’s service will not be
possible due to the health crisis, we will celebrate him through an online
video tribute. If you would like to participate, please find instructions
for submitting your video here <https://www.tribute.co/art-gensler/>. If
you would like to thank Art and honor his dedication to serving and
supporting our talented students with a donation to the Gensler Family
Foundation Scholarship, please visit cca.edu/give <https://www.cca.edu/give>
.

Through the planning for campus unification, launching the college’s
largest-ever capital campaign, navigating a time of enormous social and
political change, and pivoting to remote learning due to a devastating
pandemic, Art led the college with great wisdom and charisma, with his
dedication to our students and academic mission always first and foremost.
I invite you to join me in expressing our utmost gratitude for his
steadfast leadership and devoted service. CCA would not be where it is
today without him.

Sincerely,

Steve