Subject: [All Staff] Announcing CCA’s Vice President of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:30:00 -0800
List-Id: <allstaff.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

I am thrilled to share the news that Tricia Brand will join CCA on April 1,
2022 as the college’s inaugural vice president of diversity, equity,
inclusion, and belonging (DEIB). This new position was conceived to lead
and inform the strategic advancement of DEIB throughout the institution;
augment community engagement; and promote innovative arts education and
professional artistic practice at CCA, in the Bay Area, and beyond. In
Tricia, we have found an innovative leader who brings the experience and
vision to serve as a catalyst for cultural transformation and educational
advocacy. As CCA moves forward toward a unified campus and strengthens our
connections with the Bay Area creative community, I am excited to work with
our new vice president as a partner and collaborator in our work to make
ongoing, substantive change for a more equitable society.

Tricia joins us from Portland Community College (PCC) in Oregon, where she
has served as chief diversity officer since 2019. There, she leads the
district-wide diversity council and co-chairs the Preferred Future Task
Force, a response team for issues that blunt the sense of safety and
belonging. Recently, she has been developing a Truth, Racial Healing, and
Transformation Center at PCC, supported by the American Association of
Colleges & Universities (AAC&U).

She first joined PCC in 2014 as associate dean of student development, and
served as the college’s interim dean of student development and deputy
Title IX coordinator. Prior to her tenure at PCC, Tricia held senior
leadership roles at the University of Arizona in Tucson and at Lewis and
Clark College in Portland, Oregon, where she also teaches social justice in
higher education. She has served on a regional board for the National
Association of Student Affairs Administrators (NASPA) and Oregon Women in
Higher Education (OWHE), and is active in other professional organizations
related to diversity and higher education policy. She holds an EdM in
educational psychology from Rutgers University and an AB in psychology and
educational foundations from Washington University in St. Louis.

The level of engagement and enthusiasm from throughout the CCA community
during the search process for this important role was inspiring. Faculty,
staff, students, and trustees participated in a wide variety of
opportunities to get to know the finalists, and dozens provided feedback
that was invaluable to the search committee. It was important too for the
candidates to hear directly from so many of you, and Tricia has expressed
to me that she is especially excited by our community’s demonstrated
commitment to supporting and collaborating on the work she feels honored to
lead in this new role.

I want to thank all who participated, and especially the search
committee—Tammy Rae Carland (provost and committee chair), Jaime Austin
(director of Exhibitions and Public Programming), Susan Avila (senior vice
president, Advancement), Nelson Chan (assistant professor, Photography),
Genevieve Hyacinthe (assistant professor, History of Art and Visual
Culture), George Luis Sedano (vice president for Student Affairs), TT
Takemoto (dean of Humanities and Sciences), and Adriana Lopez Lobovits
(director, President’s Office and executive administrator for the search
committee).

Although Tricia does not assume her new role at CCA until April 1, you may
see her at CCA—virtually or in person—as she begins to get to know our
community. Please join me in giving her a warm welcome.

Sincerely,

Steve Beal, President