Subject: [All Faculty] Remembering Wayne Thiebaud
From: Presidents Office <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:39:01 -0400
List-Id: <nested_in_allfaculty.cca.edu>

Dear CCA Community,

We have lost an exceptional artist and dear friend to artists, students,
and our community with the passing of Wayne Thiebaud
<https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/art-exhibits/wayne-thiebaud-famed-pop-art-painter-dead-at-101>
on Saturday, December 25 at the age of 101. It is impossible to imagine the
Bay Area art community without the vision and generosity of this artist and
educator
<https://www.cca.edu/newsroom/wayne-thiebaud-learning-interdisciplinary-art/>,
whose work and teaching influenced generations.

A professor on the UC Davis faculty for many years, Wayne also directly
touched the CCA community. He was our neighbor, with a second home and
studio in Potrero Hill. He was awarded an honorary degree in 1972, and in
2019, as the honoree <https://www.cca.edu/giving/galas/#section-2019> for
CCA’s annual spring gala, he helped raise more than $1 million for student
scholarships. Since learning of Wayne’s passing this weekend, I’ve heard
from many of you who remember his generosity, kindness, and good humor as
he joined us for that event, which will always hold a special place among
CCA’s collective memories.

Most of all, though, we’ll remember his art—his extraordinary paintings,
many of which are on view in museums throughout the Bay Area (and around
the world), as well as his prolific body of prints and drawings.

Wayne left us at 101 years of age, yet no matter how much we prepare, the
loss of someone so dear comes as a shock. I’m so glad we had the
opportunity to honor him. My thoughts are with his family and friends who
loved him dearly. We are fortunate indeed to have counted him as a member
of our community.

Sincerely,

Steve Beal